1. What are language features?
Arcadier’s language features allow marketplace texts and translations to be changed by marketplace administrators and sellers. The objectives of the language features are
- to allow the marketplace to be translated effectively into different languages
- to allow marketplace texts to be customised to fit marketplace needs
2. Different types of texts you need to know about and how to change them:
Standard texts are default texts that appear on all Arcadier marketplace templates. An example of a standard text is “Our Services” or “What are you looking for?”. These texts can only be changed by the marketplace administrators, and there are two ways to change them:
- The first way is to translate all standard texts into a different language. To do this, the marketplace administrator simply has to go to the “Language” tab and click on “Language Settings” feature. Administrators have to add a new language on this page to change all standard texts in the marketplace to a different language. Marketplace administrators can change standard texts to several different languages simply by adding more languages on this page.
- The second way to change standard texts is to use the “Edit Text” feature. If marketplace administrators want to change static texts such as “Our Sellers” into something else to fit his marketplace needs, he can go to the “Edit Text” feature to manually change standard texts across buyer, seller, admin portal and email notifications. This allows marketplace administrators to customise marketplace texts to suit their needs precisely.
Customised texts created by marketplace administrators
Examples of this include the marketplace name and custom fields. These texts can only be changed by marketplace administrators. How to change them:
- Because these unique texts are created by marketplace administrators, they can only be changed manually using the “Edit Text” feature. Similar to the earlier customisation process, marketplace administrators simply have to go to the respective pages to manually change these customised texts accordingly.
Customised texts created by the seller
These texts can be changed by both marketplace administrators and sellers. Examples of such texts includes item listing names as well as item descriptions. How to change them:
- Sellers can go to their item listings page and click on “Translate”. It will bring them to a page where they can edit their customised texts manually.
- Marketplace administrators can also change customised texts created by marketplace sellers from their marketplace portal. Marketplace administrators can use the “Google Translate” feature to input a Google API key into the system. Google Translate will automatically translate all seller-created customised texts to their preferred language. Marketplace administrators can get this API key by creating a Google Developer account. You will have to Enable Billing and input your credit card to start using the service. Google Translate API charges you on a character basis.
- However, instead of constantly leveraging on Google Translate, our servers will save the translated texts in our database. This means that the next time another marketplace user wants to see e.g. Chinese translation of the marketplace, the server will pull up the saved translations of these seller-created customised text. The admin will only have to pay Google Translate whenever Google translates new seller-created customised text.
Even though marketplace administrators will have to pay an additional fee to Google for using their translation services, we strongly advise multi language marketplaces to invest in this service to reduce the chances of having multiple languages show up on the marketplace, which can happen when marketplace sellers forget to manually edit their item listing translations.
These texts are unique and cannot be changed with the language features. This is to ensure that these texts are not inaccurately translated or reworded. Examples of such texts include delivery and pickup address texts and merchant name.
Customized Text (By marketplace admin)
Admin Dashboard - Buyer Pages
Search Results Page
Checkout (Delivery Details)
Checkout (Order Details)
Purchase History Details
Admin Dashboard - Seller Pages
Admin Dashboard - Email Notifications
Change of Payments
Admin Dashboard - Buyer Pages
Homepage: marketplace name, slogan
Admin Dashboard - Admin Pages
Terms of Service
Customized Text (by marketplace seller)
Seller Dashboard – Translate
Answers in custom fields (if any)
Item Variance (if any)
Pick Up Address
3. Availability of language features
- Multilingual support is currently only provided for ‘Retail & Goods’ marketplace types. However, it will be available for all other marketplace types at end of Q1 2017.
- We cover all ISO 639-1 languages. Refer to the following website for the full list of supported languages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes.
- Other than the ISO 639-1 languages enabled through Google Translate APIs, we have taken the time to make sure that these 15 languages are more accurate: Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Portuguese, Indonesian, Thai, Swedish, French, Dutch, Arabic, Russian, and Hindi.
Alternatively, here is a video link that will assist you in setting up proper translation of the language in which you desire.
You may also refer to the language playlist within this link to understand more about language translation.